Telecoms

Zain Sudan secures 4G licence

Zain Sudan, the country’s largest mobile network operator by subscribers, has been awarded an LTE licence by the local regulator the National Telecommunication Corporation (NTC), paving the way for the introduction of high speed 4G data services in the country.

In an announcement on social media, Kuwaiti-owned Zain Sudan said the licensing agreement was signed on 18 February by the firm’s managing director and CEO Elfatih Erwa and the director of the NTC, Yahya Abdullah, in the presence of Minister of Science and Communications Tahani Abdullah Atiya.

Jolla Signs African OEM Mi-Fone To Sell Sailfish-Powered Handsets

Mobile OS maker Jolla, who with its Android alternative Sailfish has been trying to carve out a niche for a third platform in the smartphone space for the past five years, has announced it’s signed a new OEM partner: African OEM Mi-Fone.

“Mi-Fone is one of the first African device vendors, aiming to be one of the leading African device vendors by 2020,” said Jolla chairman Antti Saarnio, in a press briefing today. “Africa is very, very interesting for Jolla.”

South Africa: Telkom restores airtime recharge glitch

Johannesburg - Telkom has restored a glitch in its airtime recharge service that affected customers trying to load airtime.

Customers who used Telkom’s mobile transactional services, such as airtime recharges, experienced issues on Wednesday amid a hardware glitch.

Telkom said on Wednesday morning that a hardware failure disrupted its short-code or USSD services for its mobile customers.

The company has begun restoring services.

Tigo Tanzania joins campaign against counterfeit devices

Tigo Tanzania has joined the sector's regulator in creating awareness over the dangers of using counterfeit devices as the deadline for automatically switching off all counterfeit mobile phones gets closer, the Citizen reported. The Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority (TCRA) has set 16 June as the deadline when counterfeit mobile phones, blamed for some economic and health hazards, will be switched off.

Kenya: Wananchi Group’s Zuku initiates Kshs 2.5bn network upgrade

Network connectivity firm the Wananchi Group has confirmed that its home entertainment brand Zuku has upgraded its entire cable network infrastructure to enable faster speeds, accommodate more traffic and improve the quality of customer experience.

According to the company the upgrade allows faster two-way high-speed broadband content mainly video, voice and data to be delivered to the home using a combination of fibre and coaxial cable.

South Africa: Who MTN will reimburse for network outage

Details have emerged of how MTN intends honouring its promise to reimburse customers affected by network service outages between Sunday and Tuesday this week.

The company said on Wednesday afternoon that it will only reimburse clients who purchased an MTN one-day data bundle during the two days when the network problems occurred and who have not utilised these bundles due to the outage.

“The rationale behind this is that a number of customers had purchased MTN one-day data bundles which they could not use … during the duration of the outage,” the company said.

Telecoms – In brief

Nigeria's Consumer Protection Council (CPC) has directed MTN Nigeria to pay NGN 1.85 million to one of the winners of its Ultimate Wonder Promo for lack of due diligence. CPC's order came on the heels of a complaint brought by Omeje Chukwuma Fidelis against MTN that he had been underpaid after he was declared winner of NGN 2 million in the said sales promotion, which was held in 2012. 

Etisalat Nigeria leads in porting wins in December

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) said mobile operators posted a total of 35,500 numbers in the month of December 2015. NCC's latest report shows that there was a decrease of 1,019 compared to 36,519 numbers ported in November. Of the 35,500 portings recorded in the month, 17,742 were incoming porting, while 17,758 were outgoing.

MTN ordered to take down its music

Johannesburg - Fed-up songwriters have issued mobile network MTN a ‘take-down’ notice to remove music from its stores as of today.

Non-profit organisation the Composers, Authors and Publishers Association (Capasso) is accusing MTN of owing songwriters R1m in unpaid royalties for 2014.

Capasso is further accusing MTN of failing to declare music sales data and earnings to songwriters for 2015.

Vodafone still interested in Mobilis

British telecoms group Vodafone is still reportedly interested in entering the Algerian mobile market via the acquisition of a stake in Mobilis, the mobile arm of state-owned telecoms provider Algerie Teleco (AT).

Syndicate content