TechCentral

Telkom denies rumours mobile tower deals

Telkom on Wednesday denied speculation in the media that it has received a proposal from a Southeast Asian company or grouping for the sale of its mobile towers business in a deal that reportedly could be valued at as much as US$3bn.

On Tuesday, a report on a website called Business Tech said that the investment group, which, curiously, the website failed to name, wants to set up factories in South Africa to build tower infrastructure.

Source: TechCentral

Facebook knocks Mxit from its perch

Until now the largest social network in South Africa, Mxit, which claims to have 7,4m active monthly users, has been knocked from the top spot by Facebook, with an estimated 9,4m active users, a number the researchers say may actually be on the conservative side.

This was the key finding of the South African Social Media Landscape 2014 research study published on Tuesday by World Wide Worx and Fuseware.

Source: TechCentral

MTN South Africa reports 22% rise in first-half profit, beats market estimates

South Africa-based regional wireless operator MTN Group has reported a 22% increase in profits for the six months ending 30 June 2013, beating market expectations, buoyed by a strong rise in its overall subscriber base. The Group’s so-called ‘headline earnings per share’, which excludes one-off exceptional items, reached ZAR6.54 (USD0.772) for 1H13, up from ZAR5.36 for the corresponding period of 2012, beating the median estimate for profit of ZAR6.49 per share, in a poll of analysts carried out by Bloomberg.

Source: TechCentral

South Africa: Telkom Mobile MD claims ‘No sense in Cell C deal’

Telkom MD Attila Vitai says that a hypothetical deal between Telkom and Cell C, that would see the former acquiring the latter, would not make sense for Telkom. This came in response to comments made by Cell C CEO Alan Knott-Craig on Talk Radio 702 in July, who was addressing talk of consolidation in the telecoms industry.

Speaking to Stephen Grootes on the radio station, the Cell C head confirmed that the mobile operator had addressed talks of consolidation with Telkom Mobile.

Source: TechCentral

South Africa: Knott-Craig testifies in Vodacom case

Former Vodacom group CEO Alan Knott-Craig contradicted himself under questioning over who invented the “Please call me” service while testifying in the high court in Johannesburg on Tuesday, according to a newspaper report.

According to Wednesday’s Business Report, Knott-Craig contradicted himself while being questioned by Cedric Puckrin, who is representing Nkosana “Kenneth” Makete, a former Vodacom employee who claims he came up with the concept and is seeking recompense from the operator.

Source: TechCentral

South Africa: Now Mabuza buys Telkom shares

Days after newly appointed Telkom CEO Sipho Maseko dug into his own pocket to buy up R1m of the telecommunications group’s shares, its chairman has now done likewise.

Telkom revealed to shareholders in a statement issued through the JSE that Jabu Mabuza, who was appointed in 2012 to chair Telkom’s board, had bought nearly R500,000 in shares.

Mabuza bought 26,000 shares on 15 July for an average price of R19,14/share. The total value of the transaction was R497,581.

Last week, Maseko bought 52 520 shares in Telkom worth R999 980.

Source: TechCentral

WBS near to deal with MTN, Vodacom

iBurst parent Wireless Business Solutions (WBS) may be close to signing a deal with either Vodacom or MTN to build a national 4G broadband network based on long-term evolution (LTE) technology, according to CEO Thami Mtshali.

Mtshali says WBS has had extensive discussions with South Africa’s two largest mobile network operators with a view to forging an agreement that could result in either Vodacom or MTN partnering with it to build and share national 4G/LTE infrastructure.

Source: TechCentral

ANC turns to Mxit for votes

The ANC in the Western Cape is turning to mobile social media network Mxit in an effort to attract voters in the province, which is controlled by the Democratic Alliance.

The party has launched an application on the social platform, called MyANCWC, to “mobilise voters, educate them, and get them to register and vote”.

ANC Western Cape chairman Marius Fransman says the party will encourage all South Africans to use the app, although the focus is very much on the youth.

Source: TechCentral

Cell C lashes Icasa over fees claim

Mobile operator Cell C has slammed the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa), accusing it of being “unable to verify its own information” in relation to the amount of money it owes the regulatory body for its use of radio spectrum.

Cell C on Wednesday took issue with Icasa for not responding to a letter, sent on 2 May, in which it demanded “urgent written confirmation of Icasa’s position and that Cell C is not in default of any licence fee obligations”.

Source: TechCentral

Only a third of South Africa online

The census results released on Tuesday show South Africa has a great deal of work ahead if it is to achieve government’s goal of universal broadband access by 2020. Almost two-thirds (64,8%) of South African households have no access to the Internet. Of the 35,2% that do have Internet access, 46,3% get online using a mobile phone. Only 8.6% of households have access to the Internet at home. Statistics SA released the information as part of the publication of the 2011 census results on Tuesday. It must be borne in mind that the data is at least a year out of date.

Source: TechCentral
Syndicate content
</