TechCentral

South Africa: Now Mabuza buys Telkom shares

Days after newly appointed Telkom CEO Sipho Maseko dug into his own pocket to buy up R1m of the telecommunications group’s shares, its chairman has now done likewise.

Telkom revealed to shareholders in a statement issued through the JSE that Jabu Mabuza, who was appointed in 2012 to chair Telkom’s board, had bought nearly R500,000 in shares.

Mabuza bought 26,000 shares on 15 July for an average price of R19,14/share. The total value of the transaction was R497,581.

Last week, Maseko bought 52 520 shares in Telkom worth R999 980.

Source: TechCentral

WBS near to deal with MTN, Vodacom

iBurst parent Wireless Business Solutions (WBS) may be close to signing a deal with either Vodacom or MTN to build a national 4G broadband network based on long-term evolution (LTE) technology, according to CEO Thami Mtshali.

Mtshali says WBS has had extensive discussions with South Africa’s two largest mobile network operators with a view to forging an agreement that could result in either Vodacom or MTN partnering with it to build and share national 4G/LTE infrastructure.

Source: TechCentral

ANC turns to Mxit for votes

The ANC in the Western Cape is turning to mobile social media network Mxit in an effort to attract voters in the province, which is controlled by the Democratic Alliance.

The party has launched an application on the social platform, called MyANCWC, to “mobilise voters, educate them, and get them to register and vote”.

ANC Western Cape chairman Marius Fransman says the party will encourage all South Africans to use the app, although the focus is very much on the youth.

Source: TechCentral

Cell C lashes Icasa over fees claim

Mobile operator Cell C has slammed the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa), accusing it of being “unable to verify its own information” in relation to the amount of money it owes the regulatory body for its use of radio spectrum.

Cell C on Wednesday took issue with Icasa for not responding to a letter, sent on 2 May, in which it demanded “urgent written confirmation of Icasa’s position and that Cell C is not in default of any licence fee obligations”.

Source: TechCentral

Only a third of South Africa online

The census results released on Tuesday show South Africa has a great deal of work ahead if it is to achieve government’s goal of universal broadband access by 2020. Almost two-thirds (64,8%) of South African households have no access to the Internet. Of the 35,2% that do have Internet access, 46,3% get online using a mobile phone. Only 8.6% of households have access to the Internet at home. Statistics SA released the information as part of the publication of the 2011 census results on Tuesday. It must be borne in mind that the data is at least a year out of date.

Source: TechCentral

Nedbank still committed to M-Pesa

Nedbank, the financial services partner in Vodacom’s M-Pesa mobile payments initiative, says it is “disappointed” that the service hasn’t taken off as fast as it had hoped for but it remains committed to the venture and will introduce new products and streamlined services soon in an effort to grow the active user base.

Nedbank chief information officer Fred Swanepoel says there are about 1m M-Pesa users in SA, but he says the active user base is “disappointing”.

Source: TechCentral

Nedbank still committed to M-Pesa

Nedbank, the financial services partner in Vodacom’s M-Pesa mobile payments initiative, says it is “disappointed” that the service hasn’t taken off as fast as it had hoped for but it remains committed to the venture and will introduce new products and streamlined services soon in an effort to grow the active user base.

Nedbank chief information officer Fred Swanepoel says there are about 1m M-Pesa users in SA, but he says the active user base is “disappointing”.

Source: TechCentral

S.A.: Clash of the SABC titans hots up

SABC group CEO Lulama Mokhobo has taken disciplinary steps against her news chief, Phil Molefe, and is charging him with refusing to accept her authority, the Mail & Guardian has been reliably informed.

At an SABC board meeting this week, Mokhobo discussed the charges she had laid against Molefe, which included her claim that he was demonstrating he would not co-operate with her.

Board members gave Mokhobo the go-ahead to proceed with finalising the issue as soon as possible. The disciplinary hearing is expected to take place as early as next week.

Source: Editor on 4 June 2012.Source: TechCentral

Telkom wins leave to appeal in Mzanzi case

Fixed-line telecommunications operator Telkom was on Wednesday granted leave to appeal by the high court in Pretoria in a case brought against it by ZTE Mzanzi. A court interdict preventing it from continuing with work on a multibillion-rand project to modernise its access network into homes and businesses has been suspended pending the appeal.

Source: TechCentral

Wasace super cable appoints contractors and looks for finance

The company behind the planned 40Tbit/s Wasace cable says the African leg of the submarine system will be ready for service in early 2014. And it's coming to SA.
The African leg of a new submarine telecommunications system that will serve markets in the North and South Atlantic will be ready for service in the first quarter of 2014. The cable will offer high-speed global connectivity to SA, Angola and Nigeria.

Source: TechCentral
Syndicate content