TELECOMS, RATES, OFFERS AND COVERAGE
Telecoms, Rates, Offers and Coverage (briefs)
- Zimbabwe’s Zellco Cellular service has introduced "Billtrek", a facility that will enable customers to control their mobile phone bills. The function allows the customer to define maximum planned expenditure limit for their mobile numbers.
- MTN Nigeria has secured a new numbering range with the prefix 0813. This will be available in the market next Monday, a statement from the company said.
- Incumbent telco Malawi Telecoms Limited (MTL) has invested USD50 million in the upgrade of its network aimed at improving service delivery, writes Malawian online news website Nation Online, citing MTL CEO Peter Zimmer. The chief said that the new infrastructure will have a high bandwidth capacity to enhance the transfer of data and other communications needs at a much higher speed.
- Helios Towers Nigeria and CDMA operator Multilink have increased the tempo of co-location services in Nigeria with the attainment of 400 HTN co-location sites milestone last week. Multilink had embarked on massive expansion of mobile telephone services to previously underserved areas.
- Nigerian operator GiCell Wireless plans to invest over USD700 million in the next three years to deploy a low cost rural telephony network across the country, according to Nigerian online news source BusinessDay. The operator’s CEO, Usman Gumi, said a CDMA network covering five states is already being rolled out: ‘We intend to cover the country within three years but we are taking off from these five states to meet the World Bank requirement having been selected as the first Universal Access Service provider in Nigeria to provide telecoms to unserved and underserved areas.’
- Egypt Yellow Pages has reported that its recently released Yellow Pages iPhone application is now the Top Free Application download in the Apple Egypt AppStore.