Internet News - In Brief
- Tanzanian incumbent TTCL has announced this week that it is fully connected to Seacom. Other local companies already hooked to the system include TANESCO, Songo Songo Gas and Tanzanian Railways Limited, all companies that operate their own fibre netwoeks.
- AccessKenya Group has announced that it has activated its link to the Seacom fibre optic cable after two weeks of live testing. AccessKenya Group Managing Director Jonathan Somen said the connectivity to the undersea cable was the initial step towards the company’s double bandwidth upgrade program, with preparations in place to be linked to the other fibre optic cable provider TEAMS cable by September.
- West African undersea fibre-optic cable system Glo-1 has reportedly delayed its commercial launch until November, after missing previous target dates of March and May.
- Lagos, Kano, Abuja, Benin And Port Harcourt are among cities that have now been added to the list of places covered by high-capacity, IP-based services by Phase3 Telecom in continuation of the expansion and upgrade of its national communications backbone.
- Ten districts in northern Uganda will benefit from a $9.2m ICT fund provided under the second phase of the energy for rural transformation (ERT) project. The money will be channelled through Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) who will oversee the extension of last mile broadband to trading centres and remote institutions in 16 sub counties in the 10 districts. The benefiting districts include Lira, Gulu, Amolatar, Dokolo, Apac, Oyam, Pader, Kitgum, Amuru, and Adjumani.
- According to Zambia’s Minister of Communications and Transport, Geoffrey Lungwangwa who attended the 12th EASSy management committee meeting, the project is progressing well. The marine survey, which commenced on December 9, 2008, had been completed. More than 40% of the cables for the project had been manufactured and the terminal station equipment and repeaters were being manufactured.
- Linkserve Limited has emerged as Nigeria's Broadband Service Provider of the Year at the Nigerian Telecoms Awards held recently in Lagos.