TELECOMS, RATES, OFFERS AND COVERAGE
Telecoms Rates, Offers and Coverage
- Banque Populaire du Rwanda (BPR), the country's leading bank by branch network spent Rwf30m in a promotion dubbed 'Use 'n' win'. to award clients using its mobile banking service. The bank has currently 700,000 registered users on its mobile banking service and an average of 200,000 transactions per month.
- Angolan mobile phone operator Unitel has recently signed an agreement with MTS/Mobile TeleSystems Company with the aim of broadening its roaming services in Russia
- Tigo Tanzania on Sunday announced a new offer whereby its customers will be able to make international calls at a half of price after the 120 seconds. Speaking in Dar es Salaam over the weekend, Tigo Public Relations Executive Jackson Mmbando said that the offer that would run for seven days would involve four countries. They are South Africa, United Kingdom, United State of America and United Arabs Emirates.
-Angola’s mobile phone company Movicel announced a new tariff that enables customers to make calls with only 100 Kwanzas for the whole day.
- BlackBerry was named the “Coolest Brand Overall” in the Sunday Times Generation Next 2011 Brand Survey Awards. The BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) service was noted as one of the primary reasons for the brand's popularity. The smartphone brand also beat Apple and Android to be named the “Coolest Cellphone” and “Coolest High-Tech Gadget”. The survey is conducted annually by HDI Youth Marketers.
- Tigo Ghana will introduce a new product called Tigo Voice SMS to its subscribers. The mobile service provider said the product will allow its prepaid, post paid and hybrid subscribers to send voice messages. Subscribers, it says would be charged five Ghana pesewas for sending a message and retrieving a message will be charged at current call charges, it added.