MTN South Africa and SEACOM scoop 2011 AfricaCom Awards
The AfricaCom Awards winners were announced this week (9 November), with MTN, SEACOM, Main One, Orange, Helios Towers, Ericsson, Huawei, Gateway Communications, SkyVision and SafariCom winning awards. MTN South Africa scooped two awards – best network improvement for their LTE trial network and the best marketing campaign for its MTN Zone re-launch. It’s a shame that network improvement does not yet seem to have hit Ghana (see story on NCA fines below).
SEACOM and Main One were awarded “Best Pan African Initiative”. Main One and SEACOM announced in May 2011 that they had interconnected their west and east African cable systems to launch capacity services from PoP to PoP, from a STM-1 level and above.
This partnership extends the Main One and SEACOM networks to create a system that offers connection between any SEACOM and Main One PoPs all around Africa.
The 2011 AfricaCom Awards winners are:
* MTN South Africa – Best Network Improvement (for their LTE pilot test) and Best Marketing Campaign (MTN Zone)
* Orange – Best New Service
* Helios Towers Africa – Best Cost Efficiency Initiative
* Ericsson – Rural Telecoms Award
* Huawei Technologies – Best Backhaul Solution
* Gateway Communications – Customer Service Excellence
* SkyVision – Satellite Service Provider of the Year
* SafariCom – Best ICT Solution Provider for Enterprise Markets, Changing Lives Award
* Seacom/Main One – Best Pan-African Initiative