Namibia: Telkom Media Buys Into One Africa

Investment

One Africa Television, Namibia's largest private commercial broadcaster, has announced a major investment in the company by newly licensed South African broadcaster Telkom Media. Telkom Media has acquired a 49 per cent stake in the company, while the remaining 51 per cent shareholding remains in Namibian hands.

Local shareholders include two BEE investment companies, Aantu Investments and Consulting and Stimulus Investments, as well as the One Africa senior management. The announcement comes on the anniversary of One Africa's fourth year of operations.

Announcing the deal, Paul van Schalkwyk, founder and managing director of One Africa, said he believed the investment was good for the Namibian broadcasting industry as it provided new avenues for growth for the local broadcaster."The transaction with Telkom Media now makes the One Africa dream of expanding into Africa a reality," Van Schalkwyk said. According to Connie Molusi, Chairman of Telkom Media, the company was extremely excited about the investment in One Africa Television.

"One Africa Television has created a ground breaking free-to-air broadcasting model which is uniquely adapted to the requirements of the continent. We have no doubt that One Africa must rate as one of the best free-to-air television stations on the African continent," he said According to Van Schalkwyk, the partnership with Telkom Media is the next logical step for Namibia's most popular private television station.

Schalkwyk said latest research indicated that One Africa has more than 400,000 viewers watching three and half hours of programming per evening. During the short span of 48 months One Africa television has grown from a small Windhoek-based broadcaster to a full-fledged national private television broadcaster.

With the completion of its current expansion programme by the end of next month, One Africa expects to reach 90 per cent of the estimated television viewers in Namibia.

The towns and major centres covered by the One Africa Television broadcasts include Eenhana, Gobabis, Grootfontein, Henties Bay, Karasburg, Karibib, Katima Mulilo, Keetmanshoop, Luederitz, Mariental, Okahandja, Okakarara, Omaruru, Ondangwa, Ongwediva, Oranjemund, Oshakati, Otjiwarongo, Oshikango, Rehoboth, Rosh Pinah, Rundu, Swakopmund, Tsumeb, Usakos, Walvis Bay and Windhoek.

(The Namibian (Windhoek), 23 November 2007)