Film Indaba 2008
The 2010 FIFA World Cup will offer opportunities for showcasing the province and its locations, and is already having an impact on the technological and infrastructural asset base. From locations to crew to equipment providers and content programming, the event offers potential benefits to the Gauteng audiovisual industry.
Yet, what will the local film and TV industries look like in 2010 and beyond? Are we on track to building a sustainable local film industry - an industry in which independent filmmaking thrives? Are we adequately prepared for the many challenges ahead such as a lack of resources and limited access to markets?
Building on last year's successful gathering, the 2008 event will focus on various innovative, developmental and sustainability topics, all guided by the theme - A Global City, beyond 2010. It is aimed at audiovisual industry representatives, media, community, government officials, politicians, business and funders/ financiers.
The keynote presentation, Can film leverage soccer?, is by Dr Nikolaus Eberl from the Nations of Champs Initiative. This will unpack lessons from the German soccer world cup and offer guidelines on how the Gauteng audiovisual industry can maximise on the 2010 experience.
Other topics to be explored during the indaba include:
* Building a global film centre: the experience of London, New Mexico, Ontario and Toronto.
* Beyond 2010: five eminent panelists discuss the state of the industry and where we are headed beyond 2010.
* So you want to be a filmmaker? Our panelists advise budding talent across the industry.
* The financial sweet pot: is there still a financing success formula for independent filmmaking?
* The distant relative: in Gauteng, commercials account for a substantial bulk of productions and play a vital role in keeping our industry facilities and producers active.
As per tradition, the Film Indaba will close with an evening cocktail party. Rumor has it that this year's occasion promises to be something the industry will remember for a longtime to come. Full details of the evening event will be publicised in due course.