Broadcast In Brief:
- Top management at the BBC in a review of the public broadcasters various businesses is considering a partial privatisation of its commercial arm, BBC Worldwide. BBC director-general Mark Thompson told The Guardian, the review proposed listing BBC Worldwide on the stock market. BBC Worldwide posted revenues of nearly £ 1 billion last year.The partial privatisation would allow investors to buy shares in BBC Worldwide, while the BBC would maintain control of commercial activities, such as international distribution of programmes such as Strictly Come Dancing and Top Gear, magazine publishing and merchandising and licensing.
- After 18 years on air, South Africa’s longest-running daily drama Egoli (The Place of Gold) has been discontinued by M-Net.
- South Africa’s Portfolio Committee of Communications has recommended 12 candidates to serve on the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) Board.
Cedric Gina; Desmond Golding; Pippa Green; Peter John Harris; Barbara Masekela; Magatho Mello; Nkomotane Motsepe; Ben Ngubane; David Clephane Niddrie; Clare O'Neil; Felleng Lorraine and Suzanne Vos all made it on to the final list.
The 12 names will be submitted to the National Assembly for approval. If the House endorses the candidates, then the final decision will be made by the President.
- In the next few weeks, some cable subscribers in Yaounde could cease receiving their TV signal. A new anti-piracy campaign will oblige cable operators to encrypt their signals, and consequently, to prevent clandestine structures to pirate them. The idea, already supported by Canal Sat Horizons and taken up by the Ministry for Communication will regulate several piracy problems.
- The MTV Africa Music Awards (MAMA) 2009 will be happening in Nairobi, Kenya. Join the Wyclef Jean. JourneyKenya.com, Kenya's leading online travel agency for luxury and boutique hotels and lodges, has put together a holiday of a lifetime for 4 lucky winners. They will enjoy seven days of luxury staying at Ol Seki Mara Camp and Almanara Diani Beach Luxury Resort.
- Uganda’s New Vision Group has launched Etop FM which will serve the people of Teso.