Regulation & Policy News: In Brief
- Nigeria: Director General of the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) Engr. Yomi Bolarinwa, has asked the media to guard against taking sides in the coverage of political activities during the upcoming 2011 general elections.
- On 23 August 2010, the Al-Shabaab extremist Islamic group officially took over Radio Holy Quran (IQK), a privately-owned radio station in north Mogadishu, after delivering a letter in which they explained their actions to the management of the media house.
- Chadian parliament has adopted a media law which modifies parts of the previous text which was adopted after an attempted coup in 2008 With 82 votes in favour, two against and 11 abstentions.
- Uganda: Wavah Broadcasting Service (WBS) television journalist Harrison Thembo was arrested by police at Bwera (Uganda-DR Congo border) for filming activities at the immigration offices.
- Journalists from Sierra Leone, Ghana and Liberia have benefited from a three-day intensive training on human rights, investigative journalism and peace and election reporting organized by Media Foundation for West Africa, MFWA.