South Africa eTV and Multichoice get mobile TV licences from ICASA

Technology & Convergence

In South Africa, E.tv and Multichoice were awarded mobile TV licences. ICASA has awarded both channels which did not have other competing bidders with respect to the multiplexes they applied for... as a result, the authority has decided to grant the licences to both," Icasa chairman Stephen Mncube said in Johannesburg.
ICASA initially wanted to launch mobileTV prior to the recent FIFA 2010 world cup, but after missing the deadline an invitation was sent out in April of this year.
Applications were received not only from MultiChoice and E.tv but also the Mobile TV Consortium and Super 5 Media.

MultiChoice, the Mobile TV Consortium and Super 5 Media were all initially disqualified for failing to comply with regulations regarding the preliminary requirements of mobile TV.

Following this, E.tv applied for 40% capacity of the frequency, after which a second invitation was sent out in May this year for the remaining 60 percent.
Two applications were received from MultiChoice and Super 5 Media but “unfortunately, Super 5 Media withdrew its application,” Mncube said.
Icasa councillor Robert Nkuna said if everything went according to plan, the services would be available to the public within 12 months.