Distribution - In Brief
- NewsFlash News Agency, founded in 1995 specifically to provide news to radio stations, including stations that were going on the air for the first time countrywide, has announced that it now reaches more than 2.6 million weekly radio listeners.
As an independently owned agency, it supplies ready-to-read radio news bulletins, with sound bites, to 37 commercial and community radio stations in South Africa and one in Namibia.
- Multi Choice's SuperSport and the Ugandan Super League on August 18 launched a partnership deal to broadcast USL on DSTV.
- In Uganda, Zuku TV announced end of Aug’11 that it was ramping up its roll out in Uganda with the acquisition of broadcast rights for a hugely popular local program.
- Star Africa Media, branded as Star Times, a Chinese digital television company operating a pay television service, is set to launch three new channels to celebrate their three years of operations in Rwanda.
- Emerging markets are powering ahead in TV sets’ sales. North America, Western Europe and Japan, which until recently collectively accounted for over half of the global market for new TV sales, will see that statistic diminish to less than 40% by 2015.By contrast, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Eastern Europe and Africa and the Middle East will all increase their respective shares in new TV set shipments during the same period. The findings were revealed on 9 Aug. 2011 by the latest update to the Television Shipment Database and Forecast produced by IMS Research. The report, which covers 70 countries, breaks down data by several TV types including LED-LCDs, 3D TVs and connected TVs.