Content - In Brief
- French comedy "Intouchables" ("Untouchables", from Eric Toledano and Olivier Nakache, 5 awars, 4 nominations at various festivals), which led the pack with 16,888,372 admissions by 3 January 2012 according to CBO-Box Office. Based on a true story, it stars Francois Cluzet as a wealthy quadriplegic whose life is turned upside down when he hires a wisecracking young black man just out of prison, played by Omar Sy, to take care of him.
- The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) has applied for a court interdict to stop TopTV from launching porn TV channels, reports Business Day. Back in March 2010, MultiChoice has said it has reviewed draft research data following a subscriber survey into the carriage of adult content on pay-TV channels.
- One of the pioneers of the Ghana Movie Industry, Hammond Mensah of H. M. Films is ready to premiere and release to the general public its latest action packed thriller movie with the title ‘Who Own Da City’.
- Champions League: Africans with an Internet connection will be able to watch the matches of the day live on their computer or mobile phone - Tuesday February 14, 2012, at 7h45 p.m. GMT- and Wednesday Ferbuary 15, 2012.
Click on this link to watch the match.
- Gabon: The government of Gabon, led by President Ali Bongo imposed suspensions on a TV station and a newspaper for coverage of opposition leader André Mba Obame, according to local journalists and news reports. The state-run National Communication Council announced on national public television the suspension of Obame-owned broadcaster TV+ for three months and the private weekly Echos Du Nord for two months, according to news reports. Source: Committee to Protect Journalists (New York) 9 January 2012.
- Czech director Jan Sverak is preparing a new project based on the Saul Bellows book Henderson the Rain King together with his long time production partner Eric Abraham of Portobello Pictures. Sverak is currently polishing a script based on the 1959 novel that sees its middle aged American hero Henderson head for Africa to try to "find" himself. Set in Africa the film will be a big budget English language production with a US star in the leading role according to Sverak. The film will shoot entirely on location in Namibia and studios in Cape Town (South Africa).