Technology & Convergence - In Brief
- 16 Jan. 2013: Satellite operator Eutelsat has chosen technology provider Harmonic’s ProStream 1000 stream processing and transcoding platform to help deliver DTH services in Africa.
- The African Movie Channel has launched an app for the iPad, a video-on-demand channel on the Roku platform and a revamped on-demand portal. End 2012
- Made in Africa website offers the ability to exchange comments about TV programmes.
- About 2000 subscribers from Algeria Telecom were connected to triple play, bringing Internet access, television and fixed telephony services in one pack. Residents of "May 8, 1945", Palmiers, d’El Hattab et du Champ de Mars areas in the county of Annaba, were the first beneficiaries of this operation across the province. The Regional Directorate of Algeria Telecom intends to achieve by the end of 2012 6,000 fixed telephone subscribers that will be connected to the triple play by optical fiber. Algeria Telecom will continue with the implementation of another operation in 2013. The wilaya of Annaba has approximately 70,000 telephone and 30,000 Internet subscribers. Source: T. G. - 18 Nov. 2012, El Watan.
- Sénégal Expresso CEO Emmanuel Hamez hopes that copper lines will be opened to competition so that it could offer triple play services.
- Digital TV households in Sub-Saharan Africa will quadruple in the period to 2018, according to new research. Source: Digital TV Research