Investment - In Brief
- On the 23rd of April the Documentary Filmmakers’ Association (DFA) sent its second official delegation of South African documentary filmmakers to the Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival in Toronto. Hot Docs is North America’s largest documentary film festival.
- Liberia: The Management of Infinity Corporation, operator of Power Television and FM Radio has established a sub-television station in Voinjama, Lofa County, the first ever in the northern county. Citizens of the county were in jubilant mood during the dedicatory ceremony on the weekend, apparently seeing for the first time in their history a television station in their area. One of Liberia's finest female gospel artists, Kanvee G. Adams, thrilled the audience with inspiring gospel songs during the launch. The occasion brought together several individuals, including Lofa County Superintendent George Dunnor, representatives of the Islamic and Christian communities in the county, youth group, women organizations and some media executives... (Source : Media Source Africa)
- Zuku, the Wananchi Group’s triple play and pay-tv business, and the multimedia company Fox International Channels (FIC) have announced a co-production deal for season two of its Kenyan cooking and travel series, Tales From The Bush Larder to be released on the lifestyle TV channels distributed by FIC, 24Kitchen, Viajar and Voyage, as well as FOX Finland. Zuku and FIC will jointly fund the production and will co-own the series. Zuku will have pay-tv broadcast rights to Tales From The Bush Larder II in East Africa, and FIC in the rest of the world excluding North America. All other rights will be exploited jointly. The series will have its first outings on Zuku’s entertainment channel, Zuku Afrika, and on FIC’s channels.
- The 19th MTN South African Music Awards (MTN SAMA 19) has announced its official partners for the event taking place on 11 May 2013 at the Sun City Superbowl. They are MTN, SABC 1, Amstel Lager, Adams & Adams, KIA Motors South Africa, Mageu Number 1, CAN DO!, RiSA and the Department of Arts and Culture (DAC). MTN, in its 10th year as the headline sponsor, has promised the most digitally connected awards yet. The awards will be streamed live and in real time on mobile and Facebook (www.facebook.com/samusicawards). Clips will be packaged and uploaded as video on demand content, so those that do not catch the live stream can still watch the action on the mobisite and on the official MTN SAMA You Tube Channel. Full story here:
- A online streaming media platform named 'icflix' is set to launch its subscription and on-demand services in the UAE and the MENA region this coming June 2013, with plans for a global launch later this year. The platform will be streaming licensed content from Hollywood, Bollywood and Jazwood (Arabic content) including movies, TV series, sports, children's programming, exclusive content and much more over a wide range of connected devices including PCs, Macs, smart TVs, smart phones, tablets and gaming consoles. Full story here: