South Africa: SABC keeps lid on 'Project Spear' documentary
The South African Broadcasting Corporation is in the news for not airing a politically sensitive documentary that details allegations of apartheid-era theft of public funds. The public broadcaster, which had commissioned the film, has also refused to sell the rights back to the filmmaker and has filed a lawsuit demanding she turn over her raw footage and accusing her of breaching copyright by staging private screenings.
"Project Spear" documents a 1999 proposal from the British-based private investigation company Ciex to the South African government to recover billions in public funds the firm said were misappropriated by apartheid-era bankers and officials. The film is based on a story first broken by the independent investigative magazine Noseweek in September 2010. (The film has no connection to "The Spear," a satirical portrait of South African President Jacob Zuma, which caused debate last year.)
"Project Spear" was originally scheduled for broadcast in September 2012 as the first in a six-part series called "Truth Be Told," commissioned by SABC 2, one of three free-to-air TV channels operated by the public broadcaster. It was later advertised for broadcast on November 4, 2012, as the last in the series. However, it never aired.
Full story here