Investment - In Brief
- Every day, the web is changing lives in Africa. In the next five years, 7 out of the world’s 10 fastest growing economies will be from Africa. The web is playing an important part in this development. Today we’re launching a new initiative called ‘Africa Connected: Success stories powered by the web’, and we need your help. Have you or has someone you know embraced the web and Google’s tools? Has it transformed your life, your passion or your business? If so, we want to hear from you! The five most inspiring stories stand to win prizes of $25,000 each, and the winners will also have the opportunity to work with a Google champion to help them make their venture even more awesome.
- Ever wanted to visit the vast rolling green hills of Swaziland? Google’s Street View will now give you virtual access to this majestic Southern African kingdom. Swaziland joins South Africa, Botswana and Lesotho as the fourth African country to be featured on Street View.
- Netflix reaches 40m members but sets sights on more global growth. Read the story here
- The Middle East and Africa will remain the smallest ad market, though ad revenues here in 2018 are tipped to pass the US$10 billion mark for the first time, coming in at US$10.6 billion. Read full story here
- Satellite operator Eutelsat is planning to invest in significantly expanding its capacity over Africa, despite the current oversupply of capacity for data applications. Read full story here