Broadcast - In Brief
- A recently launched South African TV channel – Glow TV, in the business of syndicating and displaying content from across the globe, will give SA audiences a taste of Indian television shows. The first television channel from Kagiso Media, Glow TV, is a partnership between Kagiso Media and Nolava Television, and calls itself ‘Eastern inspired’. This is its first television offering as it has a significant holding in the radio business. Full story here
- Third season winner of South Africa’s So You Think You Can Dance reality dance competition, Sibahle Tshibika, is yet to celebrate her achievement after being targeted by kidnappers... On returning to her Khayelitsha home in Cape Town, the 23-year-old was warned by family and community members that kidnappers were in pursuit of her R250 000 prize money and had threatened to hold Tshibika and other family members, including her daughter, at ransom for the winnings.
Source: Screen Africa
- In one of the first commercial deployments of a Cisco cardless CA solution on a one-way broadcast network, Platco Digital is using the company’s VideoGuard cardless conditional access solution for its new OpenView HD free-to-air satellite service. The multichannel service is designed to provide the whole of Africa with affordable multichannel TV. The initial deployment is for the South African market. Consumers there will get access to 10+ new channels. Subscription-free HD television is a first in Africa, the companies report. More here:
- Among the winners of the 16th edition of the Eutelsat TV Awards, the Special Award was given to Canal 2 International from Cameroon. Source: eutelsattvawards
- FOX International Channels (FIC), a 21st Century Fox company, has announced that it is in the final stages of acquiring Setanta Africa Services Ltd., a sports channel bouquet distributed throughout all of sub-Saharan Africa in over one million homes. The acquisition is not final and remains subject to approval by the Irish Competition Authority.