South Africa released the 2013 Box Office report

Distribution

The National Film and Video Foundation released the 2013 Box Office report.

2013 has been a competitive year for the South African film industry at the box office and internationally. We saw some very successful releases for films such as "Schuks! Your Country Needs You" and "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom" at the same time giving local audiences real choices on genre - between homegrown comedy and true story of the life of South African icon, former President Mandela.

South Africa has generated revenues of more than R879 million in 2013 for the 204 films shown at box office. This is due to a growing film industry and higher demand from consumers. Locally produced films have increased from 19 in 2012 to 25 in 2013 generating revenues of over R98 million and putting SA's market share at 11%, while foreign films altogether generated over R780 million with market share of 89%.



Of the 204 films that were screened at box office, 33 of them were 3D films which accounted for 41% of the box office revenue, and the remaining 59% was standard format. Khumba an SA animated film was also part of the 33 3D films released and earned more than R8.5 million.

The biggest distributors dominating the exhibition chain are Ster Kinekor Distributors (SKD) with a larger share of films distributed (83) generating box office revenues of more than 38.5%, followed by Nu Metro Distributors (NMD) distributing (76) films and taking 35.7% of box office revenues.

South Africa continues to be a prime film location, offering a combination of solid film infrastructure and attractive financial incentives. Thus 2013 has been a success for South Africa with most of local production performing quite well at box office.

To view the full Box Office report, click here.