- African ICT market research company BMI-TechKnowledge says the Internet non-access services market is expected to grow from 12% of the total IT services market in 2001 to 18% in 2006, opening up a host of opportunities for vendors.
- Crystal Clear Software Limited, a Ugandan company making computer software, last week officially launched its micro finance management information system, ŒLoan performer’ version six.
- The Uganda Commercial Bank Limited (UCBL) is currently going through a major computerisation exercise in preparation for the installation of new banking services.
- Makerere University in Kampala (Uganda) has been chosen as the site of the first women-oriented facility established by the ITU Internet Training Centres Initiative for Developing Countries (ITCI-DC). The ITCI-DC is an initiative between ITU and the private sector in which Cisco Systems Inc. is a key partner.
- Senegal’s international internet bandwidth capacity is now 79 mbps, a total reached with the addition of 34 megabits from the underwater fibre optic cable.