Telecoms, Rates, Offers and Coverage (briefs)
- An NGO based in Ghana has come down heavily on MTN for being the "worse culprit" in the poor delivery of telephony services to the people of the three northern regions of the country.
- Tunisie Telecom has announced the launch of the BlackBerry solution in Tunisia. The company's customers will be able to benefit from a number of functions including emailing, real time agenda management, updating of client portfolio and messaging. They will also have access to a wide range of BlackBerry smartphones.
Tunisie Telecom which has 4, 3 million customers throughout the country, shares the market with Tunisiana, an Orascom company.
- The Angolan Telecommunications and Information Technologies minister, José Carvalho da Rocha, announced, that his sector is expected to expand the telecommunications network in the northern Bengo Province.
- With a target of 600,000 subscribers by June and a double by end of the year, Rwandatel is getting ready for post-paid clients. The new platform will be launched in April and is targeted at the business segment of the market who need continuous communication.
- Vodacom Lesotho, the country’s largest wireless operator by subscribers, has formed a partnership with one of the world's leading mobile telecoms companies, Vodafone. The deal will help with the provision of more affordable and better quality services in the country, and will allow roaming in over 27 countries. Vodacom Lesotho had a wireless subscriber base of 489,000 at the end of 2008, representing a market share of 80%.
- Millicom Ghana, operators of Tigo, in collaboration with Google and the Ghana News Agency (GNA) on Tuesday launched a value added service to provide subscribers with internet-based information through text messaging.
- The Posts and Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe (POTRAZ) ordered service providers to slash telephone tariffs by between 25 and 40 percent pending the completion of an ongoing review of the charges. The review is intended to balance the affordability of services by consumers and the viability of operators.
- Mobile phone service provider Zain announced that it has achieved record financial results for the year 2008 and more than a million extra customers in Tanzania.