Telecoms News - In Brief
- Zimbabwe has launched its first national call centre body, the Contact Centre Association of Zimbabwe, which is expected to promote investment into the country's call centre industry.
- South Africans are being called on to register their SIM cards ahead of the 30 June 2011 deadline.
- Aggrieved staff of Airtel Nigeria, Limited, a private telecommunication firm, took to protest on Thursday, at the Abuja premises over unpaid salary and welfare packages. The workers, numbering over 800, said they have resolved not to return to work unless the company offset their May salary.
- The government of Niger has cancelled a deal to sell a majority stake in state-owned telco Sonitel and its mobile arm SahelCom to LAP Green Network, stating that the Libyan government investment vehicle had not respected the terms of the transaction.
- The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has announced it is focusing its attention on the implementation of mobile number portability (MNP) now that its SIM registration programme is nearing completion.