Computer News - In Brief
- In Zambia, the Government has launched a web-based spatial data infrastructure system embedded in the Zambia Preparedness and Response Information Management System (ZAPRIS) aimed at enhancing early detection of natural disasters in the country. With the support of the UN, the Government is also in the process of establishing a Geographic Information System (GIS) hazard risk map on natural and human induced disasters as well as sentinel sites which will have the capacity to provide data on food security, nutrition, health, water and sanitation.
- Microsoft Corporation and Paradigm Initiative Nigeria (PIN), with support from the World Bank have launched a joint campaign to spur prompt cybercrime legislation in the country, calling on Nigerian youth to play a key role in the advocacy effort.
- Windhoek will host Namibia's first ever World Cyber Games (WCG) preliminaries and national qualifiers from September to October. The event will be a prelude to the Grand Finals scheduled for in Busan South Korea in December. According to the organisers, the event will target in and out of school youth and adults including those from the disadvantaged community.
- In Nigeria, the Federal Capital Territory Authority (FCTA) has launched a new portal that provides customers with an online electronic system where payment can be made. The payment system, known as FIGRA allows customers to see services they would like to make payments for at a glance and to pay using any of three options, credit/debit card, e-wallet or designated banks. The new system would also allow the FCTA to ensure accountability in revenue collection as well as improved Internally Generated Revenue (IGR).
- Anambra State in Nigeria has been selected as one of the beneficiaries of the Federal Government Digital e-Library project under the connectivity for development good of the Universal Service Provision Fund (USPF).
- A new ICT access gaps study indicates that despite Kenya's rapid ICT growth there is danger that some sections of the masses, especially in rural areas, could be left behind. Prepared by Apoyo Consultoria for CCK, the gaps study provides an operating manual for the fund as well as access gaps model for calculating subsidy levels in areas that require financial support and interventions.