Celcom constructs tower at its Blantyre site

Telecoms

Mobile phone service operator Celcom Limited, which was given a licence to start its operations in October this year, has said its technical projects are progressing according to plan and expects to beat the deadline agreed with the government.

In an interview on Wednesday, Celcom Managing Director Ted Sauti Phiri said the company is currently laying down its network infrastructure.The company said its initial investment is US$270 million which is being used to install its network and start operations.

"The project is going on well. However, the progress which is being made is technical in nature and we know the public is interested in the commercial aspect of it, so we will update them accordingly soon," said Sauti Phiri.

In May last year, the Malawi Communications Regulatory Authority (Macra) licensed Celcom to provide public fixed voice telephony and mobile voice telephone services.
Queried if the progress that has been achieved so far would enable the company meet its October deadline, Sauti Phiri said the company is highly confident of beating the deadline set by the regulator. "Everyone should be assured that we will definitely roll out our services come this October," said Sauti Phiri

Celcom said its intention is to make mobile phone services affordable and accessible to all, especially in rural areas and that their vision is to see at least one person in each household having a mobile phone.

The awarding of a licence to Celcom brought the number of telecom operators in the industry to six with Airtel, TNM Limited, Malawi Telecommunications Limited, Access Communications Limited and the yet to roll out G-Mobile.