Money News - In Brief

Mergers, Acquisitions and Financial Results

- AItel Tanzania has signed up over 10,000 local money agents to handle its mobile money service transactions.

- Tunisian Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali has met with Qtel’s chairman Sheikh Abdullah Bin Mohammad Bin Saud al-Thani to discuss further investment from the Qatar based company in its Tunisian holdings. Qtel currently owns a 75% stake in wireless operator Tunisiana, whilst the remaining 25% is held by the state.Tunisiana, which competes in the mobile sector with French-backed Orange Tunisia and state-owned Tunicell, is expected to receive a 3G licence soon, nearly a year after the end of Orange’s exclusivity period. It is believed that Qtel’s investment plans include increasing its stake in Tunisiana, and the future development of 3G and 4G platforms.
 
- The Communications Regulatory Authority of Namibia (Cran) is yet to receive an application from Telecom Namibia for the acquisition of Powercom, which trades as mobile operator Leo, despite reports that Telecom has taken over the management of the mobile operator. Cran and the Namibian Competition Commission (NaCC) yesterday released a joint statement in response to a report in The Namibian that Leo has been under Telecom control from the beginning of the year.