Kenya: Country Signs MoU to Boost Cyber-Security


Within the past year, more than 2,000 websites have been hacked. Kenya has signed a deal with a United Nations agency to boost the country's efforts in enhancing cyber-security.

In a memorandum of understanding signed in Geneva last week by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) and the Communications Commission of Kenya, the UN agency pledged to boost Kenya's cyber-security with budgetary and staff support.

This will see establishment of the Kenya National Computer Incident Response Team Coordination Centre (KE-CIRT), a platform for coordinating responses to cyber-security incidents in the country.

The ITU will bear 30 per cent of the total cost of establishing and running the centre while CCK will raise the remaining 70 per cent.

"The ITU will provide staff resources for coordination and management of the project and will be responsible for its overall management, implementation, supervision, monitoring, coordination, evaluation and hand-over to the commission after six months," said Francis Wangusi, Acting CCK director-general in a press release.