Telecoms, Rates, Offers and Coverage (briefs)
- Cellular provider, Econet Wireless is coasting towards the 1.2 million subscriber base target after the company reported a 41% increase in the number of subscribers for the six months to August, the company announced Tuesday.Releasing Econet's interim financial results, CEO Douglas Mboweni said the company now has a connected customer base of 910 047 maintaining its grip on the mobile market share with over 60% ahead of Net One and Telecel.
- Mobile telephone operator, Safaricom, has adjusted call charges for its post paid customers to four shillings per minute within its network from a high of Sh7 per minute announced earlier in the week.This offer represents up to 43 per cent in savings for the customer in addition to the 30 per cent reduction earlier.Safaricom introduced a promotion dubbed 'Jibambie', which allows its pre-paid subscribers to make savings of between 20 per cent to 70 per cent on their calls depending on the choice of top-up scratch card.
- Zain Nigeria has introduced a new Super Off-peak and weekend International Call regime that will enable its customers save up to 63% on international call rates; applicable to calls from Zain (Nigeria) network to fixed lines in the United Kingdom, Canada and the United States of America, (USA) during off-peak periods on weekdays and weekends.
- Nigeria has achieved about 80 per cent telephone penetration across its huge population spread after a critical appraisal of telecommunications and ICT infrastructure penetration among the Nigerian population and geography in the past eight years.
- Vodacom has introduced a Short Voice Service (SVS) that enables customers to send a 30-second voice message to any other Vodacom subscriber. Customers do not need a special subscription or to be provisioned to utilise the new service. As an introductory offer, the SVS service will be free of charge until 9 November 2008. SVS messages will subsequently be charged at a flat rate of ZAR0.90 (USD0.08) and are available to all Vodacom contract, pre-paid and top-up customers.