Stolen Handsets Could Be Blocked Throughout West Africa
The National Association of Telecommunications Subscribers (NATCOMS) Tuesday said that it would soon introduce an anti-theft device that will render any stolen telephone handset unusable within the West African sub-region.
The President of NATCOMS, Chief Deolu Ogunbanjo, told journalists on Tuesday in Lagos that two countries, Ghana and the Republic of Benin had been contacted while efforts were being made to convince other countries in the sub-region to embrace the idea.
"The Republics of Benin and Ghana are readily available while we are still going to contact other countries in the sub-region," Ogunbanjo said. Speaking on the plan by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) to introduce a device that will render any stolen handset unusable by December, Ogunbanjo described the move as a welcome development.
He, however, said that his organisation decided to include other countries in West Africa because stolen phones in Nigeria could be used in any of the countries in the region.