Jobs & Opportunities
Orange Fab France chooses seven winning start-ups
Orange Fab France has chosen the seven winning start-ups of its first intake. They are Afrimarket, a platform to transfer money to Africa, MyBee, a contactless payment solution for event planning, NaturalPad specialised games to facilitate rehabilitation, Octopepper's Yummypets social networking project for pet owners, Pixience for a digital dermoscope, TimeTonic collaboration, productivity and communication software, and Vivapics free photo printing and home delivery.
The winners will go through a three-month acceleration programme of 15 workshops, product testing with Orange customers and the possibility of receiving up to EUR 15,000 in convertible bonds. They will use premises at Orange and the Greater Paris Technocentre.
Orange Fab has already been rolled out in Silicon Valley, France, Southeast Asia and Poland with plans for Israel in the near future. Tokyo-based Orange Fab Southeast Asia selected eight start-ups in their first round last February. The newest addition, Orange Fab Poland, launched a call for applications in February 2014.
Communications and New Media Coordinator, Somalia1
Company: Refugees United
Deadline: Tuesday 15th April 2014
Refugees United (REFUNITE) is looking for a coordinator in Nairobi to develop and maintain campaigns integral to the mission of REFUNITE.
Who we are
REFUNITE is a tech non-profit focused on assisting separated refugee families reconnect via mobile and web platforms. With more than 45 million displaced people worldwide, REFUNITE has on-ground operations in five countries and continues to grow. Therefore, we’re seeking a highly skilled and motivated team member to help us reconnect families.
Our direct communications with refugees are a combination of on-ground assistance in refugee camps and urban settlements, coupled with outreach programs via radio, SMS campaigns and other awareness initiatives. This communication is vital in helping resource-deprived families understand how to engage with our services and help them to reconnect with missing loved ones. Currently, REFUNITE assists 280,000 refugees in their search for missing family.
The job as Communications & New Media Coordinator
Reporting directly to the Communications Director, the Communications & New Media Coordinator, Somalia, will coordinate and execute REFUNITE’s communication activities, which aim to reach separated families in Somalia, Somaliland and abroad. Primarily through innovative campaigns and digital outreach.
The tasks will include but not be limited to:
· Coordinate communication activities with Somali mobile operators
· Coordinate REFUNITE’s communications activities in Somalia and Somaliland
· Coordinate SMS campaigns in Somalia
· You will be expected to travel to Somalia
· Generate online content for our blog and social media platforms in Somali
· Write texts in Somali (i.e. blog-posts, notes, minutes from meetings)
· Prepare persuasive copy for online platforms, ads, SMS campaigns, landing pages, email campaigns etc.
· Interview families and write stories in Somali
· Reach out to Somali families online and via events
· Create radio campaigns in Somali
· Identify influencers and prepare materials
· Ad hoc tasks (prepare excel sheets etc.)
The successful candidate will have a proven track record and be a natural self-starter with a great understanding of the culture in Somalia and Somaliland. We’re looking for a person with excellent communications skills. The ability to meet deadlines is a must as well as a high degree of flexibility and the willingness to take on ad hoc tasks.
Our ideal candidate
· A BA in journalism, communications or international relations.
A minimum of three years of relevant experience in news reporting, public relations, communications, marketing or advocacy
Five years of professional experience may be accepted instead of a university degree.
· Somali background and fluency in English and Somali (both written and oral)
· Location: Nairobi, Kenya
· Office: You will be working from our office in Nairobi and join a small, ambitious start-up organization with a dedicated team of colleagues.
· Working hours: Monday to Friday (40 hours)
· Duration: Six months (ideal start date: April 1st 2014 until October 1st 2013)
Up for the challenge?
We’re a fast moving group of techies, designers, project managers and writers. We have a lot of fun, despite the serious nature of our work, and strive to end the problem of refugee families not being able to find each other within 5 years.
Why you should join us
· An opportunity to connect families and impact lives
· An opportunity to work in a fast-paced, multicultural environment
· An opportunity to expand your professional network in Africa and abroad
· An opportunity to test your creative skills
How to apply
Please send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 15th 2014. You are welcome to call + 45 31 49 31 93 if you have any questions regarding the job.
Please mark your application with the title “Communications & New Media Coordinator, Somalia”