Regulator NCA gets tough - Vodafone Banned from Signing Up New Customers in Ghana


Vodafone's Ghana subsidiary has been barred from signing up new customers until the end of July following a serious network outage.

Vodafone suffered the network outage from around 10am on the 2nd June, which lasted through to midday on the 3rd June.

According to report submitted by Vodafone, their Network Operations Centre observed a loss in the visibility of the network using the monitoring tools. Upon probing further to identify why the visibility had occurred, they realised that a network failure had occurred, which affected all subscribers on the Vodafone Fixed and Mobile Networks.

The regulator, the NCA directed Vodafone to investigate and rectify the issues on their core network involving their Recharge Platform and the Home Location Register.

Until that has been done, the only sales the network may make are prepay top-up vouchers for existing customers.

Vodafone is also required to submit their Consumer Compensation Plan to the Authority for approval, this compensation is for Fixed Line and Mobile Service subscribers who suffered inconveniences by the outage.

Vodafone owns 70% of the mobile network, with the government owning the remaining 30% stake.