Rwanda To Announce soon Tender For 3rd Telecom License

Telecoms

Rwanda plans to launch a tender for the country's third telco license for mobile and fixed-line operations within four months, the country's telecommunications minister.

"Probably maximum in a month we will announce it officially and the tender will take place three or four months after that," Romain Murenzi, minister in the president's office for information and communication technology, said on the sidelines of a Cairo conference.

"Next year at this time the third operator will be in place," Murenzi told reporters at the International Telecommunication Union Africa Forum.

The license will cover both fixed-line and mobile operations, Murenzi said.

"It is neutral they can do both so it can be mobile, fixed, voice, date and video," he said.

There are currently two operators in the country, MTN Rwanda and Rwandatel, which was purchased by Libya's state-owned Lapgreen at the end of 2007.

Lapgreen paid $100 million for 80% of Rwandatel in October, with the remaining 20% owned by Rwanda's Social Security Fund.

Down Jones Newswire