Telecoms, Rates, Offers and Coverage
- Telecel Zimbabwe has introduced a new system that allows instant airtime transfers among subscribers. NetOne, the other network provider in the country, is yet to introduce the method.
- According to local paper l’Express, Mauritius Telecom and Cellplus are likely to be re-branded into Orange. Like in Senegal, two years ago, the re-branding exercise has generated some national resentments and worries about the fees that both operators will to pay to adopt the new brand.
- Cellco MTC Namibia and broadcaster MultiChoice Namibia have announced that they will offer MTC’s mobile subscribers broadcast TV services over the operator’s 3G network.
- Launched at the Summit of Head of States of the Commonwealth in central Kampala in November last year, Uganda Telecom (UTL) has announced that it will extend coverage of its 3G network to Greater Kampala, Entebbe and Jinja. It plans to roll out to other districts like Mbarara by the middle of the year.
- Tunisie Telecom has launched its WAP portal. Dubbed “Ahaya” the website offers a combination of general information and a download services available to all Tunisie Telecom’s mobile users.