Internet News - In Brief
- Regular connection failures on Togo Telecom’s fibre link with Côte d’Ivoire (via Burkina-Faso) is causing mayhem among Internet users. Sam Bikassam, a representative of Togo Telecom said that the company has reached last week an agreement with Benin Telecom to roll out a fibre connection between the two countries that would significantly reduce the access distance to SAT3.
- According to Keith Shongwe, communications department deputy director-general for ICT international affairs in South Africa, discussions are under way to combine the government’s initiative to develop a submarine cable along the West Coast of Africa with a continental project of the New Partnership for African Development (Nepad) to prevent duplication.
- Uunet Kenya has entered a partnership with Akamai Technologies to offer local customers faster download speeds of popular international sites. A five to 10-fold performance boost can be achieved through Akamai’ acceleration and applications online.
- Afsat Communications Africa has been presented with a Certificate of Appreciation by the White House Communications Agency (WHCA) for the outstanding support by the company provided to US President George Bush during his visit to Tanzania.
- Moneyweb.co.za announced a five-year joint venture agreement with ITWeb to launch and operate a number of new web-based services. The two initiatives are targeted at Moneyweb's growing audience and are powered by ITWeb's business model, technology and service delivery methodology.
- Travelwires, in association with FutureBlue, will be holding the first Online Travel Summit in Cape Town, 8 April 2008. The summit is aimed at all players in the travel sector and will include sessions on search engine optimisation (SEO), PPC, email marketing and online brand building from leading experts.
- A common interest group for promoting the Internet dubbed "GIC-Touiza Telecom" has been created in Algeria. Made up of eleven Internet service providers (ISP), Touiza Telecom's main objective is to create a technical and economical excellence centre in a position to undertake substantial actions in relation to Internet and its applications in Algeria.