Telecoms, Rates, Offers and Coverage
- The construction of a telecommunications building complex in Eritrea’s Afabet at a cost of over 10 million Nakfa has been finalized, according to the Eritrean Telecommunication Service Corporation (ERI-TEL). The construction of a second similar building in Nacfa is also 90% complete.
- In Botswana, mobile phone company, Orange has announced the introduction of Orange World, a bouquet of mobile data and Internet services. Orange World delivers a mobile broadband Enhanced Data for GSM Environment (EDGE) and General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) technology. Customers can stay connected for as long as they like and only pay for the information that they send and receive.
- France Telecom has set up an Orange Lab in Egypt. The creation of the Cairo Orange Labs allows France Telecom Group to expand its presence in Egypt, a country where France Telecom is present since 1998 through Mobinil and Orange Business Services.
- The people of Mauritius have sent some 8 million Short Message Services (SMS) for the New Year 2008, according to figures released by Emtel, one of the two mobile telephone operators on the island. Emtel said between 23.55 hrs Monday night and 1.30 hrs Tuesday morning, some 3.5 million SMS messages were exchanged. Cellplus, the other operator on the other hand gives the figure of around 4.5 million SMS users who used its facilities.
- In South Africa, mobile operator Vodacom has introduced a reverse charge service available to all its customers. It allows customers to phone a Vodacom contract customer even without airtime.