M-Cel Plans to Cover 90 Per Cent of the Population in Mozambique

Telecoms

M-Cel, which is still 100 per cent publicly owned, intends to ensure that 90 per cent of the Mozambican population are within reach of its network by 2009.

Speaking on Thursday night, at a reception to mark the 10th anniversary of the foundation of M-Cel, the chairman of its board of directors, Salvador Adriano, promised that M-Cel is working towards covering every single district, administrative post and locality in the country. The company, he said, would also consolidate its position as market leader in terms of number of clients and the quality of its services.

Adriano said that M-Cel now has over two million clients, which is 70 per cent of the market (leaving its sole rival, the Mozambican branch of the South African company Vodacom, with the remaining 30 per cent).

The M-Cel network already reaches 100 of Mozambique's 128 districts, through 550 antennae, said Adriano. Its revenue in 2006 reached US$166 million, while its operational profits grew by 29 per cent in comparison to the 2005 figure.

Adriano said these results were achieved thanks to the use of modern mobile phone technology, allowing M-Cel to guarantee coverage of the territory 24 hours a day.

(Agencia de Informacao de Mocambique)