Telecoms, Rates, Offers and Coverage
- Globacom, Nigeria's Second National Carrier, has introduced third generation mobile telephony. Globacom, in a statement issued by its Communication Department, listed Mobile Live TV, Video Calling, High Speed Internet and Video on Demand, as the four topmost services available to subscribers on its 3G High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA), tagged 3G Plus.
- Bruno Allassonnière, the DG of Orange in Central African Republic has announced that the commercial roll-out of their mobile network has started in the cities of Bangui, Bouar and Carnot in the West part of the country. The cities of Bossongoa, Berbérati, Nola and Sibut will follow as of next month, with a commitment to cover all districts throughout the country by the end of the first half of 2008.
- Telkom Kenya's customers who are subscribed to the landline phone service could have them replaced by a wireless handset should they fall victim to vandalism. It is estimated that transfer of landline customers to the wireless service could enable Telkom to save up to Sh4 million a month in repair costs.
- M-tel, one of Nigeria's four GSM operators, is introducing free on-net calls and SMS to it's subscribers as part of its brand refresh targeting residents of Abuja where the network has the bulk of its customers.
- Comium Liberia has extended its services to four areas in less than one week. The areas include: Bong Mines, Kakata (re-launch), Totota and Zeinzue.
- In Sierra-Leone, mobile operator Africell has launched its E- Voucher service.
- In South Africa, Vox Telecom’s ADSL Phone VoIP service is enjoying fast take up with consumers snapping up the new service. Vox Telecom currently has 1,000 beta-phase subscribers on their network, and expects to see between 10,000 and 20,000 users towards the second quarter of 2008, after the service is officially launched and marketing is in full swing.
- Côte d’Ivoire’s fourth mobile operator, Koz has reported more than half million subscribers, six month after the commercial launch of the service.