Computer News - In Brief
- Omatek Ventures Limited, an ICT company has started manufacturing computers, casing and speakers in Ghana. It is the second to be built in the West Africa sub-region after the one in Nigeria. The factory which is currently operating at 25 percent capacity utilization would roll out 48,000 fully-built PCs, 120,000 casings and 120,000 speakers per annum.
- Rwanda company Media Consult has launched a new Information and Communication magazine the INDEX. The 28-page printed magazine will be published on a bi- monthly basis.
- Cameroonian centre for Information and Communication Technology, ICT and Non-Governmental Organisation, ADCOME, has won the 2007 Global Junior Challenge Award worth FCFA 15 million. The award is designed to young people and to schools to identify and reward best case practices on the use of ICT in education and training.
- Hanze University of Netherlands has donated Euros 2 million (about Shs5 billion) for the introduction of Information and Communication Technology training in four technical colleges in Uganda.
- Fujitsu Siemens Computers has beaten its competition to clinch the number one position for desktop sales in Egypt during Q307 capturing 11% per cent of Egypt’s desktop market share, while the market grew 6%per cent.