Computer News - In Brief
- The prospects of associating Microsoft Corporation with the implementation of technology transfer programmes and innovation centres in Algeria were discussed between Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer and Post and Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) Minister Boudjemaâ Haïchour. Both sides have also touched on Microsoft's involvement in the Sidi Abdellah cyber park's activities, the reinforcement of its role in the "Ousratic" (1 PC per household) operation, and its expertise in the postal mass payment system.
- The National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), has announced a N250 000 prize for any youth who publishes the best Information and Communication Technology (ICT) graphic book for primary schools in Nigeria.
- The fifth annual exhibition of MED-IT will start in Tunis on October 24th at the El Ghazala technology park. IT companies from Tunisia and abroad will have an opportunity to meet with a further view to create partnership for the provision of ICT services.
- Indian technology company Satyam is strengthening is training support to South Africa. 60 places for software development training were contested by more than 700 young graduates. They will join almost 30 students already being trained in India, with Satyam promising full-time jobs for them all. The South Africa’s government has agreed to support all 60 recruits by paying their living allowance, subsidising the R340000 it costs to train each student.
- American software company Redberry has open an office in Kenya to support the sale of its software suite targeted at the freight service industry. The company also reckons that there is a business opportunity with the IATA plans to implement an e-freight programme that will mirror its more well-known e-ticketing initiative currently underway and seeks to eradicate the paper air ticket by May 2008.
- Morocco will host the third African conference on open source software in November. Workshops will be held on Linux network administration, network and systems security, professional Php, and migration.