Telecoms News - In Brief
- South Africa’s MTN is rumoured to be taking over Datatel in Sierra Leone.
- René Ndemezo' Obiang, the Gabonese Minister of Post and Telecommunication has granted a ten-year mobile telephony licence to the Atlantique Telecom group which already operates in several Western African countries under the brand name Moov.
- Lagos State Government has directed all telecommunications companies engaged in earth and tar cut on most major roads in the state to stop such activities with immediate effect until a revalidation permits are issued to the authentic registered ones.
- The number of mobile phone subscribers in Morocco has reached 17.126 millions at the end of March 07. This is a 7% increase compared to to December 06.
- Rwanda’s Terracom will shortly rebrand itself as Rwandacell again, the name that was dropped after it was taken over by Terracom.