TELECOMS, RATES, OFFERS AND COVERAGE
- Batelco has signed a mobile roaming agreement with Orascom Telecom in Algeria. Batelco mobile customers can now make and receive calls while in the North African country.
- Mobile telephone operator Telecel Zimbabwe has installed new software in a move set to boost communication services offered by the company. The new software equipment, Short Message Services Centre (SMSC), is expected to improve the speed and efficiency of message services delivered by the company.
- MTN Uganda explained that recent network congestion due to users calling all at the same time! Good we’ve got that clear.
- South African cellphone company Virgin Mobile may have to bow to consumer demand and backtrack on its intention of never offering free handsets to customers. Weak subscriber numbers may force a U-turn, since South Africans equate a "free" phone to good value for money. Virgin is advertising a free Motorola handset -- available only to users who buy a high-end Motorola Dolce & Gabbana phone for R125 a month, who receive a free lower-end handset as well.
- The Asterisk Development Team has announced the first release in the Asterisk 1.4 series, Asterisk 1.4.0! Along with Asterisk, Asterisk-Addons, Zaptel and libpri were also released as 1.4.0 versions.As usual, the release files are available on the ftp.digium.com servers via FTP and HTTP, and have been signed with GPG keys to ensure their authenticity.