* The International Telecommunications Union (ITU) meeting in Antalya, Turkey has elected Dr. Hamadoun I. Toure of the Republic of Mali as its next Secretary-General, while Mr. Houlin Zhao of the Peoples Republic of China was elected Deputy Secretary-General.
* Steve Brookman and John Weyr have replaced Albert Mashi, Managing Director, NITEL and his counterpart in Mtel, Edwin Momife respectively. Both men are on secondment from British Telecom (BT), the technical partners to the Transcorp Consortium. Funke Opeke, former Chief Technical Officer at MTN Nigeria is now to take charge of NITEL as Chief Operating Officer while Gbenga Olulade is the new Chief Executive Officer of Mtel.
* MTN Nigeria Communications Limited has appointed Karl Olutokun Toriola as Chief Technical Officer. Before moving to MTN, Toriola was Chief Operations/Regional Officer for Vmobile Nigeria, (now Celtel) from June 2003 till July 2006.
* Maanda Manyatshe quit as MD of cellphone company MTN over a scandal involving allegations that he approved a tender without following proper procedures during his tenure as CE of the South African Post Office.
* Telnet Nigeria Limited has appointed Gbenga Odujinrin as the new group managing director. Odujinrin, currently managing director of iTeco Nigeria Limited, enterprise infrastructure and e-security solution arm of Telnet, will assume office as GMD in January, 2007.