JOBS AND OPPORTUNITIES
ICT ADVOCACY AND CAMPAIGNS COORDINATOR - FAHAMU
Are you enthusiastic, energetic and capable of innovative and creative thinking around the use of information and communication technologies (ICTs)? Fahamu is looking for a recruit to work on their use of SMS and other new technologies to support social justice campaigns in the Africa region.
Answering to the News and Information Coordinator, you will:
- Liaise with campaign partners;
- Develop a database of mobile phone numbers;
- Assist in managing an SMS alert system to support the campaign;
- Disseminate information via SMS and email;
- Assist in promotion and marketing of associated services;
- Assist in the research and development of new initiatives.
Urgently need someone who is:
- Tech savvy and aware of the latest ICT developments and their relevance to the African continent;
- Computer literate and comfortable with the use of a computer as an essential tool of everyday life for emailing, internet research, word processing and excel;
- A sound communicator with the ability to write clearly and concisely;
- Able to demonstrate an ability to think creatively;
- Capable of meeting tight deadlines and working under pressure;
- Highly proficient in English (added languages, especially an African language, Arabic or French, would be an advantage);
- Able to motivate and inspire.
Ideally, the candidate will be Cape Town based, although applications will be considered from across the African continent. The candidate will have a university degree in media and communications, development, social science or any other relevant subject. Prior experience in an information, communications or advocacy role will be strongly taken into account.
The job is for a fixed period of six months in the first instance. This is a part time position that will require a commitment of two-and-a-half days per week. Remuneration will be commensurate with experience.
If our correspondent is "off the mark" or you have factual amendments, mail them to us and we will include them in subsequent News Updates. If you'd like to contribute, write and let us know.
If you need information about a particular place or issue, just send your questions in. We are always happy to follow up on readers concerns.
News Update is a free e-letter produced by Balancing Act that covers African internet content and infrastructure developments, It goes out to government, the private sector, education and NGOs. To subscribe, send a message saying "I want to subscribe" to email@example.com