Internet News - In Brief
- Teleglobe International Holdings (which recently purchased ITXC) announced that Skype, the global Internet telephony company, has connected to Teleglobe's global VoIPLink(tm) Service for global call termination. Under the agreement, Skype will use Teleglobe VoIPLink to support Skype's first commercial service, SkypeOut, a soon-to-be-launched pre-pay feature that allows Skype users to call traditional phones worldwide from their Skype application.
- The South African Internet Service Providers Association (ISPA) expects the regulator's decision on its interpretation of the laws governing value-added network service (VANS) providers to be "unusual" when it is announced.
- Absa's Internet banking customers will receive another year of free antivirus software. The Group has extended its offer of the award winning Trend Micro PC-cillin software, which is locally distributed by SecureData. Absa has been providing customers with free PC-cillin 2003 software since August 2003. This software offers advanced virus detection and cleaning with an integrated firewall to safeguard protect home users' PCs from hackers and malicious code threats.
- Sentech, the commercially operated, state-owned enterprise, has announced measures which it says will improve the service on its broadband MyWireless product range. Says Marcel Raath, Sentech's executive for sales and marketing: "Part of this process is setting up a platform to monitor excessive usage and downloading on the network. The past three months has shown that there are a small number of customers whose usage can be termed as 'network abuse' in terms of the paragraph headed 'Excess utilisation of network resources' in our acceptable use policy (AUP). All users have accepted, and agreed to abide by, this policy, and non-compliance is resulting in degradation, creating a knock-on effect for all MyWireless users.
- MWeb Business last week announced the launch of Business Server, a managed Internet solution aimed at the small-to-medium enterprise (SME) market. Developed in response to the increasing Internet requirements of small businesses, Business Server is an Internet solution designed to include connectivity, e-mail management, bandwidth management, security services and reporting functionality.